All City of Goshen offices will be closed Thursday and Friday, December 23 and 24, in observance of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Trash collection services will operate on a regular schedule this week.
The Center for Healing & Hope will have a vaccine clinic Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021, from 9 a.m. to noon at their location at 400 W. Lincoln Ave.
They will have Pfizer vaccinations for people ages 5 and up. Children 5-17 and up must be accompanied by a parent.
- 1st and 2nd doses available, as well as boosters
- No insurance, ID or appointment required
Affected areas: Lincolnway East between E. Douglas Street and E. Plymouth Avenue, and Plymouth Avenue between S. 16th Street and Lincolnway East.
On Friday, Nov. 19, 2021, starting at 8 a.m., the water main will be shut off due to a water valve replacement. A Boil Water Advisory will be issued when the water comes back on.
It is recommended that all cooking and drinking water be brought to a complete boil for five minutes before using. Please continue to boil all cooking and drinking water until a notification that it is no longer necessary.
We appreciate your cooperation during this time and will update you as necessary until the drinking water problem has been solved. If you have any questions concerning the drinking water problem, please contact your water department at 534-5306.
NOTE: The following is a message from the Elkhart County Health Department.
Elkhart County has been upgraded to advisory level red. This means there is substantial spread of COVID-19 throughout the county.
- Our regional hospital beds are rapidly filling with COVID-19 patients.
- Regional elective surgeries are being canceled on a daily basis due to the increased number of COVID-19 patients.
- Local employers have reported the highest number of COVID-19 infections since the beginning of the pandemic.
Please consider that your large gatherings or events could become possible super spreader events. Unfortunately, nearly 60% of our county residents are unvaccinated individuals. They are highly likely to spread the virus at your special events. High-risk individuals who are not vaccinated should consider masking or avoiding these large gatherings altogether.
To maximize protection from the Delta variant and prevent possibly spreading it to others, get vaccinated as soon as you can and wear a mask indoors in public if you are in an area of substantial or high transmission. There are still many locations in the county where you can receive the COVID-19 vaccination.
Please remember that children ages 5-11 are now eligible for the vaccination as well. To find a vaccination site, please visit the Indiana Department of Health COVID-19 vaccine page.
The City of Goshen appoints boards, commissions and committees, comprised of residents and City staff, to help advise on various policy issues. Some of the boards are designated by Indiana statute, while others are created in the interest of bettering our community.
Members of these boards and commissions are appointed by the mayor and City Council.
For 2022, the Council must make the following appointments:
- Redevelopment Commission: 2 positions
- Community Relations Commission: 2 positions
- Shade Tree Board: 1 position
To read about these Boards and Commissions, go to: goshenindiana.org/boards-&-commissions
To apply for any one of these boards and commissions, go to https://goshenindiana.org/boardapplication and fill out the application.
NOTE: The City Council will make the appointments in January of 2022.
All City offices will be closed Thursday, Nov. 11, in observance of Veterans Day.
Trash collection will NOT be affected by the holiday this week. See a map of Goshen’s trash pickup areas here: https://goshenindiana.org/media/uploads/0/3994_TrashPickupAreas_Dec2017.pdf
The City of Goshen’s trick-or-treat hours are Saturday, October 30, from 5:30 to 8 p.m.
- Please be respectful of the set trick-or-treat hours.
- Stop only at homes where the porch lights are on, and never go into a stranger’s home.
Treat givers and adults:
- If you do not wish to participate in the event, please turn off your porch lights.
- Motorists should drive slowly and be alert for pedestrians.
- Keep your driveway and porch lit whenever possible and clear your walkways of any tripping hazards if handing out treats.
The Goshen Department of Environmental Resilience and Goshen Public Library have partnered to present a series of webinars to further educate the community on how reduce waste.
You are invited to attend a webinar on Zoom tomorrow evening that will touch on recycling locally.
What can you recycle locally? Just because it has a recycling symbol on it does not mean that it can be recycled curbside or even at one of the dropoff facilities.
Where are all the recycling materials ending up? Recycling is a commodity. Learn who is using them and what are they all worth?
You must preregister! Register today so that you will get the codes and they will not get stuck in spam!
You can find the link here: https://goshenindiana.org/webinars—zero-waste-goshen
You can also signup for the zero waste challenge here: https://goshenindiana.org/webinars—zero-waste-goshen
If you’ve been curious about installing solar on your home or business, this information session is for you. Brought to you by our nonprofit partners at Solar United Neighbors (SUN), the information session will share what to consider when putting solar panels on your home, how you can benefit from solar, and what it means to go solar with the free Northern Indiana Solar and EV Charger Co-op.
Join us at 10 a.m. on Saturday, October 23, at the Rieth Interpretive Center.
Goshen Utilities will start the fall hydrant flushing program beginning Monday October 11th, 2021, through Friday October 15th, weather permitting.
- From Monday, October 11 through Friday October 15, we will be flushing during daylight hours from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the upper pressure zone, which is everything northeast of U.S. 33 and the Norfolk Southern tracks.
- Also on Monday, October 11, we will start our night time flushing from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. between North Greene Road heading west to the city limits and between the Norfolk Southern tracks to the city limits south.
- On Tuesday, October 12, we will start flushing from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. between Cottage Avenue and 10th Street between the Norfolk Southern tracks south to the city limits, and between Lincolnway East and the Norfolk Southern tracks heading east to the city limits.
- On Wednesday October the 13, we will start flushing from 9 p.m.to 6 a.m. between Pike Street and the city limits south and between North Greene Road and Cottage Avenue.
- On Thursday October 14, from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. We will be flushing between Norfolk Southern and the city limits to the south, between North Greene Road to the city limits to the west.
- We ask that you avoid doing laundry on the day we are close to your home, due to the rust that we are removing from the water mains. If you do have a problem with your laundry, please call us and we will have some special soap for you.
If you have any questions or concerns contact our office at 574-534-5306