In conjunction with the Goshen Chamber of Commerce’s Beautify Goshen Week, the Goshen Street Department will be making additional disposal services available to assist city residents in their “Beautify Goshen” tasks.
This free service is offered only during the first full week in May (an eight-day week, May 4–11, with two Saturdays), and there is no limit to the quantity of items that may be disposed of. Residents must make arrangements to transport the items; there will not be curbside pickup. Because this free service is paid by Goshen residents’ tax dollars, only city residents are allowed to dispose of items. IDs will be checked to verify residency.
The collection site will be the Goshen Street Department, 475 Steury Ave. Here are the dates and times when items will be accepted:
- Saturday, May 4 from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sunday, May 5: CLOSED
- Monday–Friday, May 6–10: from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, May 11, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
In order to keep disallowed items from entering the waste stream, the Street Department will have a crew member on hand at all times monitoring the items being brought. Items that can be disposed of are:
- Non-hazardous refuse, such as furniture, carpeting, lumber, dry wall, metal and vinyl siding, windows, fiberglass insulation, mattresses, stoves, landscape timbers, bricks, etc.
- White goods, such as refrigerators, air conditioners, freezers, dehumidifiers, etc.; the Freon does not have to be removed
- Electronic waste, such as computers, home phones, televisions, etc.
- Tires up to 16½”, either on or off their rims
The following items will NOT be accepted during this large-item disposal:
- Pesticides or herbicides (insect or weed killers)
- Unlabeled drums containing any substance
- Sealed, pressurized containers (propane tanks, helium tanks, etc.)
- Paint thinners, oil- or water-based paint
- Brush and yard waste
- Asbestos insulation
- Contaminated soil
Some of the items listed immediately above are accepted at Elkhart County’s monthly Hazardous Waste Drop-off Days. Collections are conducted year-round, the first Saturday of every month, at the Elkhart County Correctional Facility near the intersection of CR 7 and CR 26 south of Elkhart; use the entrance off CR 7. The hours are 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. To check whether your items will be accepted on the drop-off days, call the Elkhart County Solid Waste Management District at 522.2581 or go to elkhartcountyswmd.com/hazardous-waste.
During the other 51 weeks of the year, Goshen residents may place a large item once a week with their regular weekly trash for removal. (This does not include electronics, old tube-type televisions or any cooling appliances containing Freon—or any of the items not accepted in the “Beautify Goshen” disposal.) For details of the yearlong, large-item disposal, contact Borden Waste-Away at 293.5001.