The City Street Department’s spring brush and leaf collection will begin April 24, and it will run through May 5, 2023. Please have any yard brush and leaves out before the start date to ensure pick up.
Because of the large amount of brush and leaves usually placed out for this first pick up, it tends to take longer for the crews to make their rounds. Residents are to have their leaves and brush placed at the curb, but not in the street so as to not cause a road hazard or hinder water drainage.
Do not place brush or trash on or in leaf piles. Leaf and brush piles placed in alleyways will not be picked up. Do not place piles around fire hydrants, mail boxes or telephone poles.
When placing brush, please keep the following in mind:
- Brush and leaves will be collected during an announced 2-week period in April/May. “Brush only” collection begins on the last Monday of the months of May through September. Special collections to be announced as needed.
- Leaves to be collected in the fall as piles accrue and continue until an announced end date.
- Brush and leaves may not be mixed, and must be free of obstacles.
- Brush pile size can be no more than 5’ high, 5’ deep, and 10’ long. Branches must be 6” diameter or less.
- Brush shall not be placed out for pickup during the months of October – March.
- The city does not pickup brush generated by landscaping and tree tree trimming contractors. Contractors will be required to remove all brush generated by their work.
- The city has extended the brush trailer program to year-round (weather permitting) for residents without the ability to comply with the new ordinance.
- Residents/property owners may be cited and fined for non-compliance of this ordinance.
Please call the Street Department at 574-534-9711 if you have any questions.