The City of Goshen, Department of Environmental Resilience is launching an online public survey about electric vehicles at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WBCY5DF .
The survey is designed to gather information about what the public knows regarding electric vehicles. As the overall makeup of mobile technologies shifts from internal combustion to electric, the City believes it is important to be aware of the opportunities and be ready to take advantage. The survey will ask questions about barriers to adopting electric vehicles, and perceptions and general knowledge about electric vehicles.
Local businesses, including Massimo’s Pizza, Woldruff’s Footwear and Apparel, Soapy Gnome, and Fables Bookstore, are offering gift cards to members of the public who take the survey. Instructions about receiving gift cards are included in the survey; gift cards can be picked up only at the Rieth Interpretive Center, 410 W. Plymouth Ave.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) are powered by electricity, meaning they rely exclusively on a rechargeable electric battery instead of gasoline. To power the electric motor, EVs need a large traction battery pack that must be plugged into a wall outlet or charging equipment, also known as electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). EVs do not have a tailpipe and do not have the traditional liquid fuel components such as a fuel pump, fuel line, or fuel tank because they run on electricity.
Facts about EVs
- Pollutants from gasoline vehicles have both immediate and long-term consequences for the environment. Car exhaust emits a variety of gases and solid matter, which contribute to climate change, acid rain, and other environmental and human health issues. Pollution is also caused by engine noise and gasoline spills.
- EVs help reduce emissions from gasoline vehicles that contribute to climate change, as well as improve public health and lessen environmental harm.
- There are currently over 50 Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) and Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) models in the USA.
- There are 16 electric vehicle charging stations within a 30 mile radius of Goshen
- Some brands of new electric cars cost as low as $30,000.
- There are currently over 60,000 charging stations in the USA