Our future leaders have something to say—and the Goshen Community Relations Commission wants to hear it.
The CRC has organized an essay contest for all Goshen students in junior high through high school in which they are asked to discuss one of the eight Goshen CRC principles. The winners will receive up to $150 in cash.
Students who choose to participate will be entered in one of two categories: grades 7-8—who will be required to submit an essay of 300-600 words; and grades 9-12, who will be asked to submit an essay of 500-800 words.
The CRC principles are:
- Honor the dignity of each person and each person’s rights
- Listen to the diverse voices of the community
- Cultivate constructive communication and engagement
- Value honesty, truthfulness, and integrity
- Promote a community that is safe for all
- Acknowledge and accept the challenge of change—that it may have both positive and negative consequences
- Promote the acceptance of differences
- Promote equality and freedom from discrimination
A committee of five community members will read the essays and determine the winners. The first place winner in each category will be awarded $150; second place, $100; and third place, $50.
The deadline to submit an essay is March 21 at 5 p.m. A community celebration and award ceremony will be held Tuesday, April 12 at the Goshen City Council Chambers. More information about the event will be available on the City’s social media pages and website, www.goshenindiana.org. To view the essay contest prompt and form, go to goshenindiana.org/crc.