Apply Now for Federal Disaster Assistance

Note: The following press release from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security. Residents in ELKHART COUNTY qualify for assistance if they experienced property damage during the flooding in February. The deadline to apply is July 5, 2018

If you live in one of the nine Indiana counties designated for disaster assistance and experienced property damage or loss caused by storms and flooding on February 14 – March 4, 2018, register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for disaster assistance – even if you have insurance. Eligible counties include Carroll, Clark, ELKHART, Floyd, Harrison, Jefferson, Lake, Marshall and St. Joseph. This can be an important step to begin the process of recovery.

Register in any of the following ways:

  • Online at;
  • On the FEMA Mobile App;
  • Calling 800-621-3362;
  • If you use 711 or Video Relay Service, call 800-621-3362;
  • People who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability and use a TTY
    may call 800-462-7585;
  • The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern time (6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Central time), seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.
  • Registering with any other agency does not register you with FEMA. If you are unsure, call 800-621-3362 and a representative can assist you.

FEMA assistance may include grants for rent, temporary housing and home repairs to primary residences, as well as funding for other serious disaster-related needs, such as medical, dental or funeral costs. If you have insurance, first file a claim with your agent. FEMA may still be able to assist with disaster-related expenses that were underinsured or not covered by your policy.

The following information is needed when registering with FEMA:

  • Social Security number;
  • Address of the location where the damage occurred;
  • Current address and phone number;
  • Insurance information;
  • Total household annual income;
  • Routing and account number for your checking or savings account (this allows
    FEMA to directly transfer disaster assistance funds into your bank account);
  • A description of disaster-caused damage and losses.

After registering with FEMA, you will be contacted by a FEMA-contracted housing inspector to schedule an appointment to inspect the house and determine the extent of damage. An adult must be present for the inspection. If you already began the clean-up process, it won’t impact your eligibility for federal assistance. Be sure to provide the inspector with photographs of disaster damage prior to cleanup or receipts for completed disaster damage repairs. For more information about the inspection process, visit the FEMA Individual Assistance Inspection Process page.

FEMA assistance is limited to the amount necessary to make the home safe, sanitary and secure for the number of occupants who live there. The cost of repairing additional spaces such as family rooms, dens or extra bedrooms is not considered. Repair cost estimates are based on standard material and construction costs.

Long-term disaster loans for businesses and private non-profit organizations of any size, homeowners and renters from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also may be available to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or benefits from other agencies or organizations. If you cannot afford to repay an SBA loan, you may be eligible for additional FEMA assistance, but must submit a loan application before that can be determined.

The application deadline is July 5, 2018.