Today Mayor Jeremy Stutsman drew the names of the 24 winners of his Apple Challenge, a plan to help a local business this fall.
Mayor Stutsman issued the challenge for people to go out and support at Kercher’s Sunrise Orchards, a local business that was struggling due to ongoing construction along Kercher Road.
The challenge was to break an apple with your hands. Those who tried the challenge would be entered once to be drawn at the end of October. Those who succeeded at splitting an apple would be entered three times.
Mayor Stutsman posted a tutorial video on Facebook showing the public how to split an apple. The mayor and his wife, Maija, donated a $100 gift certificate to be spent at the Orchard as a prize for the winner of the contest. Since the video came out, another 23 businesses and individuals matched the donation. The video got more than 33,000 views and more than 470 shares on social media, an indicator of the community’s willingness to support a local business.
“It’s always nice when a useless skill like splitting an apple can come in handy,” mayor Stutsman said. “I’m grateful for all the businesses who participated and community members who came out to support the orchard.”
A total of 545 contestants participated in the apple challenge.
Maureen Kercher, the owner of orchard, said she was grateful for living in a community that cares about each other.
“Thank you to the wonderful people and businesses of Goshen for the generous support this fall and throughout the construction this past year,” Kercher said. “Goshen is truly a great community to be a part of. Thank you for 95 years of business and we look forward to the next 95 years providing fresh fruits and vegetables to your homes.
Below are the businesses and individuals who matched Mayor Stutsman’s donation:
• Kelly Appraisals • Baconhill Kitchen and Pub • Get Fit, Get Healthy Worksite Wellness
• J+K Septic Plumbing • Home Again Consignment • Olympia Candy Kitchen
• R.S. Pest Inc. • Yoder Ainley Ulmer and Buckingham • Woldruff’s Footwear Apparel
• Vala Marketing, Inc. • Dave Pottinger and Faye Peterson • Matt Sygnal – Edward Jones
• Everett and Barbara Thomas • Ann Wisler – Remax • Berkshire Hathaway Home Services
• Hostetler Askew Garage Doors • Acruity Consulting, Inc. • South Side Soda Shop
• Goshen Plumbing and Heating • Christina Claus and Barb Swartley • Maple City Printing
• Crossroads Food Animal Veterinary Services, LLC • Goshen Health Onsite Clinics
Below is the list of winners of the Mayor’s Apple Challenge
• Eli Steele • Michelle Eichorst • Deb Brenneman
• Nicole Nelson • Brian Hall • Jennifer Camacho
• Ana Zmuda • Randy Clay • Bill Swartz
• Michael Self • Jason Cook • Jordan Smith
• Dottie Hicks • Olivia Macias • Oliver Kauffman
• Gracie • Patrick Gannon • Sarah Horst
• Ron A. Fraley • Lance Yoder • Laura Morris
• Joe Blazek • Patrick Szryrczak • Norma Yoder